Monday, April 28, 2008

Jacob

Jacob is 3. He is pretty. I know he is a boy but that is the best word to describe what he looks like...pretty. He is also smart and very funny. Like Kolton, when he laughs a real laugh it is such a belly laugh and it makes you want to giggle too (Ryan just screams). He likes to play fight too much and can be mean sometimes to his brothers...Ryan calls him a bully! I do see future principal office visits in his future, but it's a part of him and I love all of him very much. I am just hoping with some guidance (a nicer word for discipline in this case) he'll grow out of it:)
Jacob never really baby talked all that much and when he was 18 months old and could only say "dada" yet understood everything we were saying, I decided it was time to do something about it. My PCP told me to wait until he was 2 but I am so glad I didn't because that would have been another 6 months without speech therapy, and instead of being delayed about 6months to 1 year now, he would be worse off. Jacob is now at a point where people outside our family can pretty much understand most of what he says. There are times (rare ones) that I do not understand what he is saying. In these cases I tell him to slow down and try again. This usually helps.
I am praying that by the time he starts school in about 18 months that he will be completely understandable. His speech therapist did say to expect some learning disabilities in reading and writing.
I am almost sure Jacob has OCD like his mommy. It shows itself in several funny ways with the classic being that I have to make sure his nap time blanket is perfect when he is going to take a nap. It has to be straight on all sides, no creases, no folds or he gets upset. It doesn't matter what the blanket looks like if he is just laying around with it, only when he is taking a nap. I am also a bit worried that this will affect him when it comes time to go to school as far as his current routine goes.
Right now, he is trying to write his name and has learned to count to 10 and we are practicing ABC's. Like I said he is delayed, but we are working on things and he has come so far, he keeps learning more and more and I am very proud of him.

Okay, I have decided after reading my posts, I need to use the spell check that's here. No more missing letters. Stayed tuned for the James post.

No comments: